Register or login today to start collecting Courier points!


Front Page News

Alleged Island speeder found in Kelowna


The man allegedly responsible for the YouTube video "Victoria Highway Run 299km" is in custody in Kelowna.
Shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday, Randy George Scott turned himself in to Kelowna RCMP for an outstanding warrant from Saanich Police Department. Scott has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle as a result of the video. Scott remains in police custody and is scheduled to appear in court later today. See Thursday's Daily Courier for more details.

Warriors change name

The Westside Warriors are now the West Kelowna Warriors.

The B.C. Hockey League team that plays out of Royal LePage place made the name change official in a news conference Tuesday morning.

We'll tell you more in Wednesday's print edition of The Daily Courier.

Flights to L.A.

Direct flights to Los Angeles will be available from the Kelowna airport starting in December.

United Express will offer year-round daily service to Los Angeles (LAX) beginning Dec. 19.

The announcement was made Tuesday morning at the airport.

“The Los Angeles route has been timed to maximize connections to and from the southwest United States, Mexico and Latin America," said airport manager Sam Samaddar.

See Wednesday's print edition of The Daily Courier for more details.



Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 July 2012 16:57

First of two assault trials opens in Kelowna for Mountie Geoff Mantler


A B.C. Mountie facing assault charges in two separate incidents went on trial on the first charge in Kelowna Monday.
Const. Geoff Mantler is accused of assault causing bodily harm in the arrest of Manjit Singh Bhatti in August of 2010.
Bhatti himself was later charged with selling drugs to an undercover officer.
Mantler is also charged with assault in a second case involving the arrest of Buddy Tavares in January 2011 after shots were fired at a golf course.
That charge was laid when video emerged showing a Mountie kicking Tavares while he was on his hands and knees on a street.
That case does to trial November 26, and in the meantime, Mantler has been suspended without pay.

— The Canadian Press

Two dead in Vernon plane crash

VERNON, B.C. - Moments after taking off into the bright, sunny skies of British Columbia's Okanagan Valley, a small twin engine plane clipped two trees and slammed into a sports field, killing the two people onboard Saturday, say witnesses to the tragedy.

Charred wreckage at Vernon crash site

Wreckage of the light plane that crashed after takeoff from Vernon Airport on Saturday at the nearby Marshall Fields sports complex.

Two passengers were killed in the crash. Coroners Service personnel and RCMP are still on scene, and there is no word on the cause of the crash.

Full details in Sunday's print edition.

Shannon found guilty, sentenced

Trevor Shannon was convicted of second-degree murder Friday in the killing of teenager Evan Wilkes and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for at least 10 years.

Shannon, then a 22-year-old drug dealer, shot the 18-year-old Wilkes in the head during an argument outside a Kelowna house party in 2007.
"(Shannon's) actions were utterly callous and without reason," B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Butler said in passing sentence.
"The loss of a young life is always tragic, but more so when it so unnecessary, so meaningless," Butler said. "Such an event leaves a scar on the entire community."
Jurors deliberated almost two days after the trial concluded Wednesday before finding Shannon guilty as charged of second-degree murder. The conviction carries a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 25 years imprisonment before parole eligibility.
Eight jurors made no recommendation regarding the amount of time Shannon should serve before being considered for parole. One juror said 10 years, one said 11 years, and one said 15 years.
In convicting Shannon of second-degree murder rather than a lesser offence such as manslaughter, jurors essentially rejected his defence the killing was more of an accident than a deliberate act, and that the gun had somehow mysteriously fired when he held it near Wilkes head.
Both the Crown and defence suggested Shannon serve the minimum 10 years before being considered for parole, which the judge said was appropriate given the circumstances.
"While this was senseless, meaningless, and irrational, it appears to have been a momentary loss of control," on Shannon's part, the judge said.
Wilkes' relatives gasped and hugged one another when the verdict was read by the jury foreman. Neither they, nor Shannon's mother, who was also in the courtroom, would comment to the media.
Given the chance by the judge to speak to the court before sentence was passed, Shannon said nothing.
He has already been in custody for five years. He was convicted of second-degree murder in 2008, but that was set aside last year when an appeals court ruled the first trial judge had erred in his instructions to the jury.
Shannon's lawyer, Brent Bagnall, said outside the courthouse that Shannon will be credited with the time he has already served in prison. So Shannon could be eligible for parole within five years.
The killing happened in April 2007 as Wilkes and other high-school students had gathered in a home on Kelowna's Vimy Avenue to celebrate their pending high-school graduation.
Shannon, who was not invited by the party host, showed up around midnight. He often carried a gun because he was a drug dealer who believed it made him an intimidating figure, court heard.

Shannon guilty

Trevor Shannon was found guilty by a Kelowna jury this morning of second-degree murder in the April 2007 shooting of Evan Wilkes. He will receive 10-25 years for the crime, to be announced in a few minutes. See The Okanagan Saturday newspaper for details.

Last Updated on Friday, 29 June 2012 19:16

Employees evacuated over chemical spill


A chemical spill in a food-processing plant forced scores of people to evacuate an industrial area in Kelowna on Thursday.
The Kelowna Fire Department called in its Hazmat team to clean up the Leckie Court spill, believed to be five gallons of chlorine bleach that mixed with a cleaning solution containing citric acid. Employees at Sun Valley Processed Foods complained they felt burning in their throats from the vapour.
Three employees and a firefighter went to hospital for observation ìas a precautionary measure, said RCMP Sgt. Brad Swecera.
"There was a little burning sensation in the back of your throat when I was on scene. When I came back (later) it was less because they were venting. You could taste it in the air," he said.
The Hazmat team set up industrial fans to ventilate the food plant after the 33 employers got out. Worried that the fumes might affect other people downwind, Fire Chief Jeff Carlisle asked those working in neighbouring businesses to vacate the area as well.
About 70 people left the area. Police blocked off traffic along a one-block radius on Leckie Road, Dilworth Drive and Enterprise Way for about two hours.
A transit bus was called in to ferry affected employees to hospital, but no one boarded it. Paramedics treated people at the scene. No one appeared to be injured.  
The ventilation was to continue until after 5:30 p.m. Traffic resumed about 5 p.m.

Last Updated on Friday, 29 June 2012 00:26

5-vehicle crash closes Springfield Road

Busy Springfield Road was closed Wednesday night after a five-vehicle crash sent live power lines dangling onto the route.
The crash between Dilworth Drive and Durnin Road happened just before 7 p.m. Police reported there were injuries, but would not say how many or how serious.
“The cause is also unknown and is currently being investigated,” said police in a statement.
At press deadline, Fortis BC was on scene to repair the line. Police expected the road closure to last until about midnight.

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 June 2012 04:54

Page 73 of 82

Latest Poll

Are you in favour of the Kelowna Farmers Market moving downtown?