Angered that her appointment at the Penticton Health Centre had been changed, a disgruntled elderly woman phoned in a bomb threat instead.
The Health Centre on Carmi Avenue was evacuated Thursday morning after the caller claimed that a bomb was inside the building and set to explode.
The incident prompted Penticton RCMP and the Penticton Fire Department to close off a portion of Carmi between Dartmouth Drive and Government Street, and along Government from Carmi south to Industrial Avenue.
The area was closed from about 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., as police tried to identify the caller and determine if the threat was real.
Sgt. Rick Dellebuur confirmed the call turned to be a hoax, noting that it's one of the most unusual incidents he's ever been involved with.
"Just when you think you've heard it all," said Dellebuur, who added that after being a police officer for so many years, nothing really surprises him.
"On the good side, at least we were able to find out who made the call," he said.
Police spoke with the woman who admitted to making the call.
Dellebuur said that police will be looking into the incident, however, he's not anticipating charges will be laid at this time.
According to Interior Health, about 160 staff had to be evacuated from the building until it was deemed safe for them to return. Operations at the health centre returned to normal shortly after 10 a.m.