The man accused of brutally attacking a 22-year-old woman in front of her toddler son inside a Penticton second hand store two summers ago, may soon plead guilty to seven charges against him.
However, an original charge of attempted murder isn't among them.
David Bobbitt, 37, appeared Monday in B.C. Supreme Court in Penticton via video link from Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre where he has held in custody since his arrest in early August 2011.
Crown counsel Debra Drissell told court the prosecution has decided not to proceed with the attempted murder charge. Instead, the Crown is planning to apply for dangerous offender status against Bobbitt.
Defence lawyer James Pennington said his client was prepared to enter guilty pleas to the seven remaining charges against him.
The list includes aggravated assault, aggravated sexual assault, assault with a weapon, two counts of unlawful confinement, and two counts of uttering threats. An additional charge of robbery has been dropped.
Justice Allison Beames adjourned the matter to April 2 for the pleas to be formally entered. She said given the seriousness of the charges against him, she directed that Bobbitt attend court in person on that date.
The accused had been ordered to stand trial at the conclusion of a preliminary hearing last summer.
The case generated national media attention after the female victim was discovered bound, severely beaten and sexually assaulted inside Dave's Second Hand Store on Ellis Street in the early morning hours of July 31, 2011. The attack had allegedly continued for several hours in front of her two-year-old son.
- Special to The Daily Courier