A townhouse fire in the 500 block of Lester Road in Rutland may have been caused by smoking materials, say investigators.
"It's not totally conclusive," said deputy fire chief Jason Brolund, "but all signs point towards (that)."
A call came in at 7:26 p.m. for a townhouse fire in the 500 block of Lester Road. The fire began on a second-floor balcony and burned into an attic.
Two units were affected by fire and one unit was affected by smoke. Rough estimates put the damage at a minimum of $350,000.
Six residents and two cats have been evacuated. They will be provided for by Emergency Social Services for 72 hours. There were no injuries.
It is unknown at this time whether the residents were insured or have a place to go after their 72 hours is up.
This fire was smaller than the two major Rutland apartment fires in July that left dozens homeless, but one of those was also started by smoking.
"Take responsibility for your smoking materials," said Brolund, "whatever sources of flame you may have on your balcony, especially."