More than a dozen people from Penticton to Vernon took part in a “Intro to Clog Dancing” a 1 /1/2 hour lesson at the Westside Seniors Centre on Saturday.
The introductory session was taught by Lynda Colautti of Kelowna, Certified Clogging Instructor (CCI) who instructed participants on the basic steps, the lesson plan included the rhythm of the dance through five steps that was practiced in three dances.
First dance was a “big circle dance” where one circle of dancers was inside the other, each circle facing the opposite direction. The second dance was a cued dance to a modern piece of music but still retaining the traditional flavour. The third dance was a “patter call dance” where Colautti cued the movement in time to the music. The dancers were able to do steps of their own choosing.
The distant origin of clogging can be found in Europe but in North America it was introduced in Appalachian Mountains by settlers of European descent. They blended the folk dances of their homelands to include an impromptu foot-tapping. At country dances, farmers once hammered nails into the thick soles of their big shoes to accent the tapping sound.The event was presented by the Okanagan Square and Round Dance Association.
A beginners class will be held, April 6 from 6 to 7 pm at the Peachland 50Plus Activity Centre, 5672 Beach Ave. There will be 12 Wednesday sessions and the fee is $60 for all lessons or $5 per lesson night.
Learn more at the web link:www.KelownaClogDanceFun.info
- Quebec man charged with first-degree murder in Quebec's 17th femicide this year
- Review: Into the Woods fits the bill
- WFN to close Pine Acres seniors' home in January
- Secrecy surrounds major new public art piece in downtown Kelowna
- Prime Lower Mission site eyed by owner for bigger things
- Do Westsiders even want their own downtown?
- Autism study shakes preconceptions
- Cake decorator goes to extremes for TV show
- Backcountry road closures block motorized access to 200,000 ha of Okanagan forests
- Kelowna to review snow-clearing plan after court sides with injured woman
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Receive daily headlines on local news, sports, entertainment, and more right to your inbox. Sign up now!