Made up of Rachel Matkin, Barry Mathers, and Jim Ryan - Dirt Road Opera come from an esteemed musical background. Rachel got her professional start singing with The Matkin Family Band at the tender age of eight and was nominated for a Juno Award in the category of Country Female Vocalist of the year just a few years later on the strength of her solo debut album, Living Beyond Our Dreams. Barry, who many know from the Juno-nominated Cruzeros, is a veteran of the Canadian music scene who has been recognized with many awards for his singing, songwriting and instrumental talents. Jim has played with Mathers for ten years in the Cruzeros, along with Rachel. He's played with the who's who in the world of music.
While each has their own style, sensibility and depth of expression they bring to the music, it’s perhaps together that they shine brightest, as audiences have come to appreciate.
- Dead dad’s wrongs reversed by court
- Police to enforce non-essential travel ban in B.C.
- Travel ban enforcement won't be "heavy-handed", Horgan says
- Too many homes like this in Kelowna, city says
- BC Liberals need to rekindle love affair with suburban Vancouver, candidate says
- Guest Column: How to make Kelowna a great city
- Okanagan a stand-in for U.S. national park in new TV series
- Quick commute stretches to hours after bridge crash
- Death of first child in B.C. due to COVID-19 announced by Henry
- Rogers says disruptive wireless outage caused by Ericsson software update
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Receive daily headlines on local news, sports, entertainment, and more right to your inbox. Sign up now!
Air Canada and the federal government signed a bailout deal on Monday that features refunds for cancelled flights.