The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times eastern):

6:55 p.m.

British Columbia is reporting three COVID-19 deaths, bringing the provincial total to 1,747.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 75 new COVID-19 cases in B.C.

She says the number of people receiving COVID-19 vaccines continues to increase, with more than 4.6 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Oxford-AstraZeneca having been administered so far.

She says 34 people are listed in intensive care with COVID-19.

---

5:55 p.m.

Alberta is reporting 73 new cases of COVID-19 today and one more death.

Health officials say there are now 1,580 cases in the province.

A total of 190 Albertans are in hospital, with 50 of those patients in intensive care.

There have been 2,293 deaths due to COVID-19 in Alberta since the pandemic started.

Nearly four million vaccine doses have now been administered in Alberta.

More than 71 per cent of Albertans over the age of 12 have had at least one dose and 33 per cent are fully vaccinated.

---

3:45 p.m.

Saskatchewan is reporting 52 new cases of COVID-19 and no additional deaths.

The province says there are 76 people in hospital, with 62 of those patients in intensive care.

It says there are 605 active cases.

Since the pandemic began last year, 48,590 people have been infected with the virus in Saskatchewan and 565 have died.

---

2:50 p.m.

Nova Scotia says it plans to open its border to people travelling from New Brunswick without restrictions starting June 30.

The change comes after the province received information on Wednesday from New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs about his province's border measures.

Premier Iain Rankin says the next week will give the province a little more time to boost its coverage of second-dose COVID-19 shots before also opening its boundaries to the rest of Canada.

However, travellers from outside the Atlantic region will have to complete a check-in form and will be subject to isolation requirements based on their vaccination status and test results.

---

1:45 p.m.

There are 104 new cases and two more deaths from COVID-19 in Manitoba.

There are 212 Manitobans hospitalized due to COVID-19, including 12 in intensive care units in other provinces.

Manitoba is also expanding eligibility to second-dose vaccinations to everyone on Friday.

Health officials say they are expanding hours at two supersites and vaccine access to community clinics and pharmacies to get more people vaccinated.

---

1:30 p.m.

New Brunswick is reporting two new cases of COVID-19 today.

Health officials say one case involves a person in their 40s in the Moncton area, while the other is an individual in their 70s in the Fredericton region.

The province has 40 active cases.

Six people are in hospital, including two in an intensive care unit as a result of the infection.

---

12:30 p.m.

Nova Scotia is reporting five new cases of COVID-19 today.

Health officials say all of the cases are in the Halifax area with two related to travel, two close contacts of previous cases and one case under investigation.

They say one of the cases is connected to Joseph Howe Elementary School in Halifax.

The province has 59 active cases of the virus with three people in hospital, including one in intensive care.

---

12:15 p.m.

The Manitoba government is rolling out a program to get people back to work that motivates employers to hire staff who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19.

The $30-million Healthy Hire program will provide businesses with a grant equivalent to 50 per cent of wages for up to 10 employees, with a maximum of $5,000 per person.

To get the subsidy, employees must be fully vaccinated or show that is their intention if they are still waiting for a dose.

Premier Brian Pallister says it's a way for Manitobans to get their lives back and see their neighbours working again.

---

11:15 a.m.

Quebec is reporting 96 new cases of COVID-19 today and four additional deaths linked to the disease, all of which took place before June 22.

The health department says the number of hospitalizations declined by 18 from yesterday, to 143, and 38 people are in intensive care, a decline of two.

Officials say 116,720 doses of vaccine were administered yesterday, including 108,626 second doses.

More than 80 per cent of Quebec residents over 12 have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 23 per cent have received a second shot.

Montreal is the only region in Quebec to report more than 20 new cases today, with 29.

---

10:30 a.m.

Ontario reports there are 296 new cases of COVID-19 in the province and six more deaths linked to the virus.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says there are 95 new cases in the Waterloo region, 35 in Toronto, and 20 in Peel Region.

The Ministry of Health says 300 people are in intensive care with the virus and 189 are on ventilators.

Ontario says more than 225,000 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine have been administered since yesterday's report, for a total of more than 13.3 million.

---

9:30 a.m.

Ontario is moving into the second phase of its reopening plan a few days ahead of schedule.

The province announced today that Step 2 will take effect on June 30, up from the scheduled July 2 date.

The stage allows haircuts and other services to resume, expands capacity for gatherings and businesses and permits more outdoor activities.

Vaccination targets for entering that step of the plan have already been surpassed and other pandemic indicators have also improved.

---

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 24, 2021.

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.